[python] Python on longer journeys

  • From: Elias Annila <elias.annila@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 01:26:46 +0300

Hello,

I have been considering building python type recumbent lately, since i'd
love to try recumbent on some longer (1000+km) journeys and python's design
really excites me and it seems relatively easy to build. So far i have never
ridden any type of recumbent, but the advantages of more comfy seat and
lower air resistance are quite obvious on longer trips. (after biking from
some 1000km last summer from southcoast of finland to lapland in 5 and half
days with "normal" bike I had a saddle shaped bruise in rather not
convenient place...)

But i wonder whether the python is really good type of recumbent for these
long tours? I don't mind longish learning process i'm sure i can find
patience to practice, but even if completely mastered, is python good choice
on long distances? The speed is not so important factor here so some
problems on higher (+40/km/h) speeds i read about probably don't matter, but
being able to keep control of the bike at all times is truly vital since
usually there is cars passing by at least on some of the legs, causing often
substantial sidewinds and i would not like to fall under a lorry due some
slight panic movement...

The other question i have in mind is if there's notable difference in
"easyness" or sort of being relaxed between python and other recumbents
since obviously being not relaxed at all for days, sometimes couple weeks is
not very nice? Also as far as i have understood python is not very good on
gravel or bumpy roads, which sometimes occur specially in more rural areas
(read north). I have read comments that it is unridable on anything apart
from tarmac but i wonder if this is correct or if it has just been lack of
skill by the poster? Any experience on snow? Although this doesn't really
matter as longer trips are for summer to be honest

I know topic of longer tours have been discussed before, but the part i
really seek answers before setting to build the thing is behavior with heavy
traffic if anyone would have personal experience on that one?

"Fingers crossed for green light :P"

--
Elias