[python] Re: Python, of course.

  • From: Olaf Johansson <noll@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:25:28 +0200

What is acceptable stability anyway? To most people the python or flevo are far to unstable and hence below their acceptance. They are not willing to invest the time it takes to learn to ride these bikes.

And above that point? Among us who do ride these contraptions - what do we consider stable or not? Again, it depends on how deep you are into the knicklenker-addiction. There are no norms, only individual preferences. I for one think that anything can be ridden as long as you find joy in trying.

I am not even sure there are good bikes and bad bikes - it all depends on how you use them.

tamam, olaf

On Sep 12, 2005, at 10:46, Dirk Bonne wrote:

 On 09/01/2005 07:02 PM, mtb@xxxxxxx wrote:
At 12:35 AM 8/20/2005, you wrote:

The calculations made by Ray and Dirk are a big progress towards the evaluation of stabilty factors in the python frame geometry. But the ultimate solution is still not found (and I guess it never will be ;-)

I think that the "solution" would require modeling the reflexive response and natural damping action of human bodies; the python itself cannot be made self-stable. However, as everyone here seems to agree, it can be made easier to control (minimizing necessary input).
As others pointed out, making a unicycle taller makes it "more stable" and easier, but it can never be truly stable.

A little late responce to this: I totally agree with this point of view. The human must be calculated in. If there is to be a real progress of the evaluation of the stability of the python, then one needs to know what is easy for a human to control and what is not. But this depends on the amount of learning this particular person does.

In my view a bike and a rider combination is acceptable when the corrections needed on the part of the rider to keep the bike up does not need much of concentration effort.

 dirk

In 100 years of effort, no one has ever published a complete physical description of the motion of hinged two-wheeled vehicles. There is a commercial package I saw that can dynamically model almost all of the important aspects of motorcycles. It is done with a package like ODE
http://ode.org/
http://ode.org/slides/igc02/s19.html

Ray