[python] Re: Python Plans

  • From: "Mark Schaaf" <Mark.Schaaf@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:21:25 +0100

Hello Henry,

Am Tue, 13 Feb 2007 16:23:47 +0100 schrieb Henry Thomas <whpthomas@xxxxxxxxx>:

After Mark Schaaf voiced the concerns he had about the using the python
drive train on a tilting trike, Jetrike has been somewhat redesigned.

It was not my intention to let you build a Flevo - mini - Racer.
The problems I have are substantiatet a) by the long wheelbase, b) missing weight of the big case, that would push the rear end to ground and c) missing rear breakes who hold the stability of the pendulous vehicle.

After re-reading Jürgen´s "Frame Geometry"-Page, I think, the Wheel Flop is also established in this:

"The optimal pivot angle is exactly the one where the weight of the whole front part (including the riders legs) is in equilibrium with the rest of the bike (including the rest of the rider). This is different with every bike and rider. To be more exact: It is the angle where the wheel flop effect is nullified by the seat rising effect."

I think the Pivot Angle at my trike is too low.

This has left me with the remnants of the Python drive train I had
already started constructing, so rather than let it go to waste, I have
designed a python frame to use it (Attached Photo).

Ok, nice, but i please you to build the old Jetrike first.
the new design of the MKII rear frame looks sporty, but in the old design you have a chance to append a carrier to Item 21 (rocker arm).

On MKII, the space between the swing arms is very narrow to append a carrier.

How would you couple the rocker arm with the swing arms?
Why 90° at the rocker arm, not 70° as by the Jetrike, rev. B?

The plans on my web site http://jetrike.com/plans.html are only a
preview, I haven't finished drafting them up.

Which Program do you use to create your drawings?

It has a 20" front and a
20" back, elastomer rear shock, M12 rod ends for the pivot and weighs in
at 6kg minus the seat. The specs are 1100 wheelbase, 60° pivot, 270mm
negative tail, 240mm seat height, 380mm BB height, 410mm BB-FWA.

The thing I haven't had a response about is what the best sear angle
should be, I set it at 40° for now... any ideas?

I used 20° - 35°.

Mark