[python] Re: Pedal Induced Steering

  • From: DB <midget1488@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 18:57:08 -0700 (PDT)

Dirk, 25hz and all,

Thanks very much for sharing your insights and links
to your bikes. More information on the Cruzbike can be
had at http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Cruzbike/
if you're interested in some other mechanical
interpretations of the design and applications of the
kit.

25hz, I take a lot of encouragement in what you say,
because although I've been working on the bikes for
about a year, I haven't had the opportunity for much
seat time, and the bike does respond well to circular
pedalling and forced relaxation (is that an oxymoron?)
of the shoulders. Come to think of it, I also
experience some pedal steer on my Vision R40 SWB. And
as you observe, it gets more pronounced as my legs
become tired.

I guess one of my background concerns is that on a
moving bottom bracket FWD, pedal steer can work the
upper body and shoulders, and things that are a minor
annoyance on short rides can become endurance issues
on long rides (I intend to ride this bike on a 150
mile, two-day charity ride in early June.) So if there
is a mechanical route to lessen the effect, I'm
interested.

Perhaps practice and discipline are the first order of
the day however...

Dirk, thanks for describing in detail the effect of
increasing the trail dimension on your Camel Bike. You
have saved me another path of experimentation, as I
was about to increase the trail dimension as a test.

25hz, I would like to post your observations about
riding style on the Cruzbike Yahoo group. Is this
acceptable to you?

Again, thanks for your observations.

Doug

(http://www.fleettrikes.com/high%20racer%20stage%206.jpg).
> If I don't pedal smooth and allow my shoulders to
> roll and arms to move in
> sync with my legs, I can get heavy pedal steer.  If
> I pedal circles and
> relax my arms, it tracks straight as an arrow.
>
> Try this experiment.  Find a chair that spins fairly
> easily.  Lean back in
> it and pick your feet up free of the chair base and
> the ground.  Hold your

=== message truncated ===