[python] Re: PC2 rideable - and test results

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 12:19:22 +0200

But a flatter angle does result in a larger turning circle, right? I
would personally find that quite important (though downhill stability
is, of course, a plus as well).

Not necessarily. When you make sharp turns it is very important to stay in balance and to have a good response from the bike. Angles of 80 deg result in theoretically better turning circles but in practice they don´t because you will loose balance.

I'm really curious about is whether new tests
will actually confirm Dirk's calculations, that there is one most
stable point around 55 degrees after which stability starts to
decline.

The 55 deg pivot angle can not be generalized. It is just valid for the special geometry (wheelbase, wheelsize etc) that Dirk used for his calculations. Though it would be great if Dirk could provide a formula which spits out the max. seat rising angle for a given geometry.

BTW, Jurgen, what does the python site favicon (browser title icon),
the swallow, stand for? ;) I only just noticed it.

It's a swift (Mauersegler, Apus apus).

Before I had chosen "python" for the project name I thought of "jive"
or "swift". The latter because swifts to me are the most fascinating
birds. They are an evolutionary success model in aviation and they
stay in the air almost the whole time of their live (except when breeding)
and they even sleep in the air.
After being closer to the soil with my bike than to the air I changed my
mind and called it python - though with better skills the sense of flying
is becoming more apparent.