[python] Re: [OT] some list technical notes

  • From: Dirk Steuwer <dirk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 18:56:04 +0100

Hi

I can second that notion to a large extend.
I personally enjoy maillinglists, because the content comes to you. With a
forum, i keep having to point my browser to it, trying to find out what &
where the new stuff is.
For this very reason, the big buzzword web2.0 is all about you applying to
newsfeeds from websites having specific content delivered to your door.

The perfect addition in my view would be a wiki. A website where anyone
interested can manipulate its content and upload pictures, i.e. to his python
project, showing all projects nicely side by side. Technical matters would be
discussed on this list, and the outcome presented in a nice format somewhere
in the wiki. Nice thing about a wiki is that things like hierarchy can evolve
over time. Projects like pmwiki are not difficult to set up, i would even say
much simpler, than a forum.
This has the advantage, that Juergen isn't the only one, editing his great
project overview, but rather all of us can do our share.
Forums are pretty static. Posts are ordered by date, with maybe one level of
structure, only to be changed by the admin. If you're after something
special, you'll have to search there, instead of searching locally in your
mailbox (which should be a lot faster)

Regards,
DirkS