[python] Re: [OT] some list technical notes

  • From: George Durbridge <gdurbrid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 18:00:28 +1100

I agree with all of this.  VicHPV (Victorian Human Powered Vehicles)
uses a Yahoo group, which provides both a forum and a mailing list (i.e.
all messages are mailed to group members, and listed on the forum).  The
forum is only of use as a backup to the mailing list.

On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 23:13 -0500, 25hz wrote:
> For me, I'm a big fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  I think the
> list is working great.  With all the other things in my life, I appreciate
> the ability to log on when I can and get all the information pushed to my
> in-box.   While forums have their place, one thing I don't like about them
> is clicking though a bunch of different links in different threads to find
> out the latest in developments.  I also like the ability to be able to
> quickly and simply go through the link archives at work without having to
> worry about some BBS code that gets blocked by the firewall.  For people
> that don't like being on a list with a lot of extraneous email chatter, a
> forum is the place for them or they select the "nomail" option on their
> mailinglist and read it online.  For people who don't like having to drill
> through forum threads and logging in to post, the mailing list is their
> thing.  I'm a member of a lot of forums and lists, and a large number of the
> forums get little traffic while the lists are fluorishing if they are well
> managed, and controlled to make a reasonable attempt to stay on topic - like
> this python list.
>
> For anyone who wants to send pictures, for those that don't already have
> webspace that came with their internet account, there are literally
> thousands of phot-hosting sites on the net - for free.  A link to a picture
> works just as well as the actual picture.
>

> | Hello Listies,
> |
> | the mailinglist now has about 150 members, which is great
> | on the one hand but might easily lead to trouble on the other.
> |
> | A french guy, Thibault Ferron, who also did the recent translations
> | of the python site, offered me to move to a web forum on his server.
> |
> | He already prepared the site for your purpose:
> |
> | http://eggrz7.free.fr/python-project/
> |
> | A forum has its pros and cons versus a mailinglist and I don't
> | really know what to do. I mean, if we are disciplined enough to
> | take care of the mail subjects, avoid full quotes and too much
> | off-topic themes (some nice smalltalk from time to time is no
> | problem though), then we could get along with the mailinglist.
> |
> | What do you think?
> |
> | Cheers to you all,
> | Jürgen.
> |
> | PS: I recently discovered ICQ for communications. Maybe we could
> | setup a python chatroom just for fun. My number is 355857064.

George Durbridge
+61 3 9481 3500
+61 409 413 945