[python] Re: News from Brazil

  • From: olaf <noll@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:34:36 +0200

Hi Eduardo, and thanks for a very informative drawing. As far as I can understand this is a both light and strong solution.

And when taking the bike apart (for transport) you just have to to unscrew the nut and pull out the bolt, right?

olaf

On Wednesday, April 14, 2004, at 06:39 PM, Eduardo L P Jr wrote:

Hi Olaf! See the drawing below:

<image.tiff>

The red drawing, is the rear frame. You may see that there are two 6 mm thick plates welded to the 40 x 40 mm square rear tube. These two plates are the "arms" which holds 12 mm dia. bolt (green). These plates performs the same task as the two cranks used in the original Jürgen's design. The cyan part, is the bearing shell + the front frame. The bearing shell is a 40 mm O.D. / 26 mm I.D. tube. The bearing shell is made in a lathe with two 32 mm dia. cuttings to set the bearings. The magenta parts are washers.

The bearings used, are two 7201 B, i.e. angular contact ball bearings (see below)

<image.tiff>
This bearing isn't an usual type of ball bearing. The races of the balls are angular (similar to the tappered roller bearings). It is the same function of the ball + cup conventional (threaded) headsets, but in a single cartridge unit. The angular contact ball bearings, may be pre-loaded to asure a perfect work. This pre-loading is obtained by fastening the nut of the bolt-pivot.

The two arm-plates are almost rigid then we must assemble the steering with the washers to asure a zero gap between the plates and the bearings. About one quarter turn of the nut is enough to pre-load the bearings.

[]'s Eduardo

Ypê Bike: http://www.ypebike.cjb.net/
Ypê Mono: http://www.ype.unicyclist.com/