[python] New South African Python

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 13:08:53 +0200

Hi all,

Gavin Katts from Port Elizabeth, South Africa, today sent me the
picture and the specs of his newly built 16" Python.

I really like it and I guess it is the first african Python ever.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with us, Gavin.

I placed it on the project page. Only few specs are missing (e.g. weight)

Here is what Gavin writes:

The front tubing seems small compared to other pythons. We cannot get
30 x 10 x 1.5 with the closest being 30 x 19 x 2.0mm. For my next python I will use 38 x 19 x 1.5mm instead. I have managed to make a u-turn in a 4 meter wide dirt road once, without falling or touching the ground. All other attempts after that failed, so I dont know what
my turning circle is. As for the weight, I took my bike to the local
scrap yard to have it weighed. The bike attracted so much attention that I forgot to have it weighed on all three occasions that I took it there. I think it is because recumbents are relatively unheard of here. Some bike shop owners have not even sen one yet. Cycling here is largely centered around road and MTB racing. There are some companies that are offering touring packages, but they are expensive and travel at high speed. We do have very beautiful scenery so I dont
agree that when you tour it should be at high speed. While taking photos yesterday on a nice grass patch at the side of a very busy road, the bike nearly caused a few accidents, with people craning their necks to have a better look. I will be taking my bike to a local shopping mall and displaying her in the parking lot. I am sure to cause a few parking lot jams.