[python] Re: New Python coming up

  • From: Olaf Johansson <noll@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 23:03:13 +0200

On Apr 30, 2005, at 15:45, Sam v. Herwaarden wrote:

Do you think it would be possible to build (glue) a frame from ready
made carbon tubing?

olaf
I think the only way you could build a strong frame using that method
is using carbon fibre on all the overlaps - so you still need to get
dirty :) I have heard of bike producers that do it though, often in
combination with a metal frame. You might be able to use a big bonding
area, but I think it would be difficult to get all the shapes right
and the bonds fitting tightly (much more difficult than just building
one this way).

Perhaps one could make lugs like when you braze ... but I see your point!

I started preparing the build, and I did have some minor setbacks -
all the mixing proportions are weight ratios, but all the measuring
stuff you buy measures volumes :) Since epoxy is fairly picky when it
comes to ratios, I'll probably need to find a rather precise  balance
and calculate the volume ratios. Also I didn't realize that the PU
foam I bought was only component A :S Every other shop I'd seen that
sells the stuff sells sets of component A+B but apparently this one
didn't - so now I need to find component be somewhere.

Are you using the PU to make a sandwich construction?

And I've done some practicing with fiberglass

When moulding the bike – will you use more than one layer of carbon fibre?

Times when I think of carbon fibre python I think of a front part where the fender/mudguard is an integrated part – would that be possible you think?

and using the materials
and stuff - I hadn't noticed before but solvent stinks! But it's fun
so far.

You have to use solvent with epoxi?

I've been able to get all the frame parts (BB, seat tubes, other metal
parts) from Optima and thanks to Stefan Knorr I now have the info
needed to successfully build disk brake mounts - the only thing I
still need to get is the flevobike headset (I guess I'll just phone
the people that build the flevobikes for that).
Sam

Sorry if my questions are a bit lame but I know almost nothing on the subject. But I do know it is possible to make very light bikes with this technique and that is of course attractive :-)

Looking forward to your blog!

Olaf