[python] Re: New Drawing: Drive system

  • From: "Paul Bell" <paulb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:57:16 -0400 (EDT)

HI all and Jurgen,

I know the design is complicated. I think trying to keep the weight down
and building something that is stiff enough would be the challenge.
The reason for staying with the 26 inch (559) inch rims is because I have
a few wheel sets already in that size for my mountain bikes. I have a set
of 26 inch(559 snowcat rims which are 44 mm wide and I have some super
wide 2.65 tires on them. I like the running of low pressure in these
tires. I run thme at about 5-10 lbs and I cannot discribe how much
smoother the ride is. I know there will be a trade off in speed on hills
and on the flat roads, but I wil like to to some snow riding with them an
off-road. I had tested on a dirt singletrack course with gravel, dirt,
sand, roots ect between these tire/rim combo and a more standard mountain
bike tire and rim width (2.1 inch tire and 1 inch wide rim) and the ride
is  so much nicer on the wide tires. Even my wife likes the wider tire on
the paths and such :)

I am not sure what my first Python will actually be but I am hoping to
have a more road oriented biek for summer and if all goes well one more
for off-road and winter riding. We get a fair ammount here in Ottawa ,
Canada :)

I am just throwing out some feasable ideas out there(not trying to waste
peoples time)

So any input on wheel size? Can I, orshould I run tweo 20 inch tires if I
go that route or can I mix a 20 inch(451???) front and a 26(559) rear?

Cheers,

Paul Bell

Hi Paul,

your design is complicate and will add more weight to the front wheel,
also the leverarm for cornering will be shorter. If this is fortune or not
I  dont know. With my first leverarm python the feet are very near to the
hub. In a few weeks when I will have accomplished my second python,  I
will be able to compare the influence of short and long leverarm, even  so
it will be difficult, because the steering angles are different.

What speeks against a smaller front wheel? There exists a 20 ' python  in
this forum.

Greetings from Jürgen aus Giebelstadt