[python] Re: New Drawing: Drive system

  • From: "Hillel Seltzer" <hseltzer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 12:11:34 -0400

> I drew up a design for the pedal system which has half a crank on
> each beam of the front frame, ahead of the front axle.  I'll not try
> explain further but give you the link to my drawing. The drawing is
> not to any real scale as I just use Illustrator to do the sketch,
>  and not a CAD program.
>
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/jebelisle/pythonpedals.gif
>
> Any comments on this design concept???

First of all, congratulations on the wedding!!

Cool idea, Paul.  I am 5'8" and also have a problem getting
around a 559 wheel with clearance for big tires and a fender.

Some thoughts on your idea:
To clear the wheel and the chains from the main crank to
the derailleur, you will probably have to put the cranks
attached to the pedals outside of the frame around the
front wheel.  They will then be farther apart than normal
cranks.  The fixed cogs to the central cranks will then
be outside the normal chainwheels, and your BB will need
a really long axle.  You will also need to get hold of a
tandem crank with reverse threads to put a cog on
the left side.

Hope this helps.

---Hillel