[python] Re: New Drawing: Drive system

  • From: "Paul Bell" <paulb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:37:34 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all and Scott,

<snip>
Paul,
Are you familiar with the highwheel bikes of the 1800's?  There were a few
bikes with this design back then.  The main drawback, from what I've read,
is the chain tension, and shifting.  I assume you would be using a fixed
gear ratio, unable to shift?  Have you thought about an internally geared
hub?  I too, am short and have a craze for the python design.  I would
love to see something like this work.  I had been doing drawings like
your's for awhile before I settled on a smaller front wheel.
Scott
<end snip>

I would still have gears with conventional triple crank (or double if
width is an issue).
There would be a fixed gear from the small cogs on each pedal crank going
forward to a fixed cog on the front triple(double) crank . That front
crank would then drive the rear wheels.

I hope this makes sense !

Also was thinking of adding electric assist hub motor. I think it would
have to be on the front wheel as if it was on the rear wheel I think the
bike would tend to "fold" as power was applied to the rear wheel.
Any comments on this.

I will keep all posted as the project develops. No production planned
until end of July tho as I stated. If I build I will make sure to take
detailed construction photos :)

Cheers to all,

Paul Bell