[python] Re: More on Metal Fume Fever

  • From: "daryl bender" <darylbender@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:15:15 -0400

http://www.weldweb.com/safety.php?articleID=8

Here's a better link explaining "Metal Fume Fever". I'm mentioning it because many weld here and it is an easy mistake to make. In my case I was only welding MILD STEEL with my oxy-acetelene torches and the MIG. There is some copper on the MIG wire and apparently you can get it from iron oxide so you don't just get it from galvanized metal (of which I was already aware of the dangers of). In my case NO ZINC was involved so while they refer to zinc in the warning other metals can cause it..

For me I never noticed it until the end of the day other than a slight increasing tiredness which I expected. It was after dinner I got an *incredibly* exhausted feeling and got *extreme* chills and achy joints. Basically you feel like you've been laid flat by an extremely high fever. Luckily I was better in the morning.

The original thought was it was -10C outside and the torches are just fire (which would warm the garage) and steel is inert and the MIG would only be used briefly & sporadically. Live and learn! Always have good ventilation even if its mild steel!

Daryl

From: "daryl bender" <darylbender@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [python] Re: Web Updates
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:32:40 -0400

Hi Jürgen

It's not a big deal. I'll just revector the bearings for something else. I don't have much time invested in that part of the bike (the suspension pivot is the part that gave me all the trouble trouble and I'll keep that. My pivot angle was going to be 67 deg. I like the idea that with the rod ends I can tune my pivot angle.

The weather is getting cold here so the time for indoor design is upon me. I can develop a new set of plans. I want to think about that changing pivot angle idea I brought up. I think 25Hz said the bike is more stable at speed with a lower angle. If that is so then I would like to *try* to think up a *simple* way of achieving a variable angle on the fly (no bouncing python). I now have 2 free bearings that I could use for this if I needed.

Alas I would be done the Python except for the fact that I got snowballed under with so many other things this year (redoing the kitchen, upgrading my other recumbent, family reunions, the loss of my job & trying to find another etc etc). All but the latter were good but didn't allow me to get as far as I hoped. I may try to proceed over the winter but last time I welded in the garage with the doors closed to stay warm I got "metal fume fever" (always reminds me of cat scratch fever).

http://meeting.chestjournal.org/cgi/content/abstract/126/4/995S-a

and let me tell you, boys, that one ain't fun ;-)

Cheers
Daryl - yes I can tell you a lot of shop horror stories! :-)

Take advantage of powerful junk e-mail filters built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen Technology. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.

Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special stationery, fonts and colors. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.