[python] Re: Midsommar Tour 2008

  • From: Dustin Anderson <dustin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 09:10:15 -0700

I have an SUV (it was my human powered limousine for my wedding) and it is a great concept but I don't think very well executed. It is lots of fun to ride but is heavier than I think necessary. I love it as a truck to haul around stuff and advertise events.

JPEG image

On 14-Jun-08, at 5:09 AM, Rhisiart Gwilym wrote:

Hello Listies,

like every year around the Midsummers Day I would like to make a longer tour with my P3. This year I am planning to go to Eupen, Belgium to visit some fellow listies and pythonauts. The route can be found here:

Siwmae pawb (Hiya all),

Goddammit, it seems I'm going to be too tied down to make the Summer European pythonaut shindigs again this year. I despair! When do I get to ride with you guys?

Now, a question for anyone who might have the experience:

Looking at the SUV python work trike pictures that I have in my archive, it's clear a) that it IS a python (centre-steer, neg. trail); b) that the rider sits on the front end, in front of the articulation joint; that s/he has a pair of handle-bars on the rear end, against which to brace when balancing the front end by body movement.

This looks to me like the nearest thing I've seen to my longtime idea of a centre steer recumbent bike/trike as essentially a unicycle hauling a trailer, with the rider sitting on the trailer (usually).

The only other bike that I know of with the rider (apparently) seated in front of the articulation is the Kalle.

So, the question is: has anyone any experience of riding recumbents set up like this? Is it unusually difficult, or dicey at high speed? Any comment welcome.

In case I don't make the Midsommar, I'll aim again at the Autumn event.

Cofion,   Rhisiart.