[python] Re: Midsommar Tour 2008

  • From: Dustin Anderson <dustin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 21:00:26 -0700

HI Rhisiart,

I am happy to share all of my experience with it. I enjoy having it first and foremost. It is nice to have a human powered truck that doubles as a limo. I can move large items (fridges, ovens(North American size:))) and take my nieces out for a blast around the town with the same machine.

That said....I think the idea was conceived and then not much time was put into refining it after. There is an excessive amount of wheel flop. So much that it the trike is affected by even the slightest camber in the road. The operator needs upper body strength to drive it and the control arms (where you anchor yourself with your arms to steer it) flex and that makes it more difficult.

It only comes with rim brakes and with a load in my hilly city (Vancouver) I get concerned about rim heat blowing up a tube. Mind you they work well.

I don't normally ride with more than two wheels so when I take it out I really enjoy the stability of it. I don't think I have had it above 30 kph and it wasn't aweful.

The biggest factor is that it is a great upper body work out. If you forget that the front end pivots it will slam into itself. I personally think an adjustment to the trail would benefit this design.

You are most welcome. I am even happy to send more detailed pictures and dimensions of whatever you like. I think this concept has great potential for urban transportation.

Dustin

PS I just got a flevo-tandem. It is a wreck and I need to put in alot of time to get it safe to ride but it is a beautiful concept.

On 14-Jun-08, at 2:57 PM, Rhisiart Gwilym wrote:

I have an SUV (it was my human powered limousine for my wedding) and it is a great concept but I don't think very well executed. It is lots of fun to ride but is heavier than I think necessary. I love it as a truck to haul around stuff and advertise events.

Thanks for this information, Dustin. What interests me, since I've never had an opportunity to ride such a recumbent, or even try sitting on one with my feet off the ground, is just how manageable that arrangement is, with the rider on the front -- that's to say the steering -- end of the bike. Does it ride easily? Does it feel a stable arrangement, or twitchy? Is there any 'rider flop' as an even more alarming and unmanageable version of wheel flop? That's to say: does it feel like a truly practical arrangement? The three people in the picture don't give the impression of holding tight in alarm because the trike feels not well controlled.

Thanks for you input anyway. RhG