[python] Re: Limits of iLean ?

  • From: "Vi Vuong" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "vi_vuong@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 07:39:01 -0700

Hi Paul

It should only take a few degrees to balance going straight or turing slowly.
The angle limitation is only an issue at higher turning speed, but by then you
would have already be flying on a python :). I think learning to ride a python
is much more exciting than building one...

Vi

On Apr 13, 2015, at 3:59 AM, paul needham <paul.2.needham@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Vi

Excellent answer thanks.

As far as my trike goes I looked at the current wheel base and it is much to
short to have one wheel 7" further forward than the current position it would
overlap the front wheel and interfere with the handle bars !

I do have a bike that I built that is really to high to reach the ground with
your hands and so I have little success learning on it.

Maybe I can make a bolt in unit from a sealed BB to replace the rear wheel ,
what do restrict the lean angle to from the point of view of a learning aid
?[ sorry if you have already mentioned this and I have missed it :-) ]

thanks again Paul

On 13/04/15 08:12, Vi Vuong (Redacted sender vi_vuong@xxxxxxxxx for DMARC)
wrote:
Hi Paul

Assuming your wheels are 20" and 7" cranks, you can tilt a 33" track to
about 22 degrees. There is an extra 5" of track at full tilt via the crank.

With limited lean angle, you will need to maintain course once you reach
full tilt which takes some practice but it is kind of nice to cruise thru a
corner without balancing. However speeding up or applying front brake may
send you off to the ground just like a delta trike would. Is safer than a
wide-track trike? Most likely no.

At rest it won't fall over, just testing on one side :). You can add some
friction to resist leaning depending the load. You can lock the wheel to
the frame to keep the trike from leaning and moving...

Suspension works as long as both wheels don't hit bump at the same time.
7" cracks and 20" wheels may have clearance issue.

Is it worth it? Yes if you want to learn or miss riding a python bike.
Maybe a quick release tilt lock is good in this case...

Vi

On Apr 12, 2015, at 1:26 PM, paul needham <paul.2.needham@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all

I have a Python trike based on Triked USA in the Trike pages , the rear
track is 33" [ 84 cm ] ground clearance 5" [ 125 cm ].

If I was to build a wide iLean rear end bolting it to the trike rear end
keeping the 33" track and relocate the 2 rear wheels to the iLean mechanism
like this :-
http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showpost.php?p=1299422&postcount=2

What would be the result ?

a) get the suspension effect of iLean ?
b) would it stay upright like the trike does ? or would it fall over like a
bike with a one piece BB iLean ? with me sat on it.
c) would it stay upright like the trike does ? or would it fall over like a
bike with a one piece BB iLean ? without me sat on it.
d) lean into corners like a bike ?
e) will there be a limit to the lean that may compromise it's safety
corning hard ? [ ie ground strike of some part of it ?]

Any negatives ?

I am short of those 1 pieces BB's however I do have a surplus of 14mm axled
BMX wheels and sealed BB's and normal 3 piece cranks.

So :-

I see pedal axles are approx 14mm as are BMX axles ?

So if I file out the axle holes in the cranks I can bolt BMX wheels to the
cranks mounting them single sided ?

regards Paul