[python] Re: Leverarm Python

  • From: Ronald Hongsermeier <rwhongser@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 15:26:06 +0100

Moin Jürgen,

I remember seeing an article in a magazine back in the 70's or 80's -- Outside,
Bike, Popular Science/Mechanics, .... don't know-- about a newly marketed
device that fit between one's jaws with a blowpipe and two guide-ropes that
hooked to the handlebars. It was supposedly good for a 17-21% rise in to the
pedal energy especially for sprinting and climbing. You were supposed to use
your freed-up hands to push down on your thighs. Obviously, this method works
best in the wedgie position and I did try it out at times, especially when
working out a thigh cramp or on long climbs (but without the device). I was
never a high-end racer, though I really did like to ride no-hands anyway--
/*this is one of the features that attracted me to the python design*/ and I
did notice an increase in speed. The price tag was too high for me to
experiment with and I never noted that it caught on, so I figured there must
have been good reasons for it.

I think the comfort aspects of it were probably the most important for it not
to catch on-- I can't imagine feeling comfortable with road-surface "noise"
being translated into my jaws and head by ropes attached to 10bar tires and a
stiff roadie suspension....

So I think 25hz' mention of this is in line with a relatively long line of
research and development...

cheers,
ron