[python] Re: Leverarm Python

  • From: "25hz" <25hz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 16:34:57 -0500

Actually, the more limbs used, the less efficient it gets.  The most
efficient system is using one leg.  The cardio and circulatory system can
keep up with that at max effort.  Adding a 2nd leg is less than twice as
efficient because the body can't fuel both to 100% capacity.  Add arms to
the equation, and there's even less efficiency gain.  I think the net gain
isn't even 180% for arms and legs.  Also add to the fact that you will be
using a lot more core muscles to stiffen/stabilize the torso to be able to
apply power with the arms, and add to that the decreased efficiency of the
entire system due to the added weight and frictional drag of the extra drive
system for the arms, and you can see why arm and leg systems don't appear
everywhere.  In a very short sprint where the body is going anaerobic
anyway, the body can momentarily produce more power, but then you still have
to overcome the losses from the more complicated drive train.  Over there in
Europe they race on row bikes and bents, but no one ever wins when they go
against leg only bents.  That's why :)