[python] Re: Leaning trike

  • From: Henry Thomas <whpthomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 17:36:18 +1000

One other thing I might add, is that on a trike, you can avoid potholes more easily with the front wheel -because its right in front of you- but not as easily with the back wheels, so rear suspension is not a bad idea - however something like the flevo suspension on the front would probably work quite well.

-h

On 29/06/2012, at 5:00 AM, Patrick van Gompel wrote:

Thanks for the input guys.
Yes Henry, I have been looking at your design before (nice idea indeed). The reason I want a different setup is that I prefer more control over the suspension (especially when a trailer is attached). When using a air spring I can easily adjust tension and rebound, or could even lock it when the trailer is too bouncy on the rear. I hope this new design will solve my problems with high speed cornering too. My pythonjetrike still seems to be too stable and I think I prefer a steady trackwidth when cornering. I am also thinking about front suspension, because -as you say- it gives more benefit to the whole. Though, that will be a different story.

Greetings,
Patrick

From: whpthomas@xxxxxxxxx
To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [python] Re: Leaning trike
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 04:22:39 +1000

Here are some photos of how I resolved the addition of suspension to my tilting trike using elastomers. In reality, the front wheel carried a greater proportion of the riders weight, so the benefits of adding suspension to the rear was limited - though it did make some difference.

<BILD0453.jpg>

<BILD0455.jpg>

http://jetrike.com/jetrike-mods.html

Kind regards,

-h

On 28/06/2012, at 9:57 PM, Patrick van Gompel wrote:

Hello,

I am planning to build a new leaning Python trike and made a simple setup out of Lego.
See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ7Gv4rE-Vk
Does anyone have experience with this kind of leaning/suspension? Any ideas about pros and cons?

Thanks,
Patrick