[python] Re: Jetstream

  • From: George Durbridge <gdurbrid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 09:23:46 +1100

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 06:51 +1000, Henry Thomas wrote:
> Dirk Steuwer wrote:
> > What would happen, if you were to pedal in the center of the front wheel,
> > like
> > those old "penny-farthing" cycles?
>
> I have a picture of such a bike (attached) that appears to work as you
> describe here - but I don't know much about its origins or history.

The photos are of Robert Waryszak's python, since converted into a more
conventional low-racer.  The gearing was by derailleur, with the crank
bearings on the front wheel axle, the cassette near the pivot, and the
drive brought back to the front axle by a secondary chain.  This
mechanism made the front end rather heavy, and perhaps more prone to
wheel-flop than it might have been.  I could never ride it, but Robert
succeeded after a time, and a couple of people who were already used to
low-racers rode it without much difficulty.  I don't recall pedal-steer
as having been a serious problem.

--
George Durbridge
+61 3 9481 3500