[python] Re: Jetrike Update

  • From: Henry Thomas <whpthomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 19:04:57 +1000

25hz wrote:
Looks good and looks smooth.  Does the T-bar rocker have the same effect as
the 190 degree rocker from the original design?  Picturing it moving in my
mind's eye it seems like it would do similar things to the tilting ratios of
the two swingarms, but in function, is it about the same as a 190 degree
angle, somethign different or have you worked that out?

I developed a new simulation that completely isolates the two planes and is much more accurate than the last one. With it I found that you could just use a 110° rocker angle on its own and everything works better.

I have updated my geometry page http://jetrike.com/geometry with lots of new info and the simulation graphic is now fully annotated.

  I like the change
you did to the swingarms too.  It looks like you might want to make it tilt
a little further though.  The python delta I did would go to 45 degrees,
easy, and there were a couple times I bottomed it out in turns and could
have used a little more - not for regular riding though.
http://fleettrikes.com/python%202%20delta%20final%20rear.jpg

My wife was gingerly tilting the trike while I was filming -- it does actually tilt quite a bit more than you see in the video. The tilt lock is now about 30°, any greater and the self-centering effect wouldn't work.

How much higher are the swingarm pivots than the rear wheel axles now?

They are level.

The thing I like about homebuilding, is it's very easy to do a lot of
theorizing and making fancy plans, and critiques and everything else, but
unless you actually make an attempt at making it real, the best it'll ever
be is pure vapour.  I applaud your creation.  Even if it isn't 100% what you
wanted, it looks more than functional enough that I bet you could sell it in
a heartbeat and build one more to your liking.

I certainly would have liked to try the Python drive train on the front end, but most of all I wanted it to work, maybe someone else will build a Python one. I will post the plans for it with the new geometry for any brave soul who is interested.

That being said I just love the look of this bike! And sitting in it is just amazing :-D

-h