[python] Re: Improving the Python

  • From: Dirk Steuwer <dirk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:39:37 +0100

Hi Paul,

> My solution (which I was going to keep under wraps until I had tried it
> out) is the following:-
>
> Assuming the turning force on the steered wheel of a cycle is
>
> proportional to sin(steering head angle) X distance from the point of
> contact of the wheel with the ground

Could you provide a drawing, showing your measurements (angle, distances..)?
I think that there are some dynamic influences to the turning force, that
chance along with cruising speed.

> Then by introducing a second steering head that steers the rear wheel
> the tendency of the Python front wheel to turn away from centre at high
> speed can be overcome.

i was thinking along the same lines at some point actually, but my personal
impression was that adding another bearing would make thinks wobbly and
perhaps even more uncontrollable, but please, prove me wrong :-)
Another approach was posted some time ago on this list. It was something like
a skateboard, having the steering pivot before front wheel, but at the same
height as typical pythons would have it. This design comes with positive
trail like a normal bike, and should behave similar.

> By having a more vertical rear steering head a smaller turning of the
> rear wheel is required relative to the front.

...but should reduce the centering force on that joint, i think...

> My plan is to start with a standard Python configuration but with a
> vertical steering head for the rear wheel.  The ratio of front wheel
> steer to rear wheel steer I was originally planning to try at 2F:1R.
>
> Although this idea is adds some complexity (an extra steering head and a
> linkage) it retains all the other advantages of the Python layout, the
> increased centring force with steering angle may make it easier to ride
> and increased centring force with speed should promote stability.
>
> Does anyone have any comments on this?  As I said I was going to try it
> out myself first but since I haven't had time to try it yet  I thought
> I'd share it.
>
> Paul Lowing

the two steering heads might prove some advantages, when thinking about the
folding bike discussion. Imagine a short beam, between the two heads would
fold the wheels side by side, without doing anything to the bike :-)
I was actually thinking to dig out my old lego stones, to figure out some of
these diverse concepts :-)

DirkS