[python] Re: Ilean connecting cranks to rear wheels

  • From: Patrick van Gompel <patrick_van_gompel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 09:03:48 +0200

Are you looking for new or old hubs? If you can't find the wheel chair hubs,
you could look for new 20 or 15mm dics brake hubs. I use 20mm front Hope hubs
with mechanical disc brakes.
Probably most people don't need rear brakes for a Pythontrike, but I found out
that they are great for stopping your trike and not falling over. I tried
Henry's jetrike design but was never able to stop and not put my foot on the
ground. With some practise and having rear brakes you can lock your lean when
you have to stop for a traffic light. You will likely need a dual brake lever
for that (see picture).
Also, when you use it together with a lockable brake lever (not sure whether
this is the right word) you have a handbrake, so your trike won't drive away or
tilt when parked. There is are companies in NL that sells dual brake levers
that can be locked.
(http://www.fiets-onderdelen-online.nl/Dubbele-remgreep-links-voor-shopping-fiets)

Greets,
Patrick

Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 07:22:02 +0100
From: paul.2.needham@xxxxxxxxx
To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [python] Re: Ilean connecting cranks to rear wheels

Gerald

Yep tried to find those in the UK , however wheel chair wheels with hub
brakes are rare around where I live.

Paul

On 22/04/15 13:13, bepb wrote:
Hi Paul,
wheel chair hubs are also great for trikes. I have a pair from
Sturmey-Archer, that come even with a drum brake.
The drum brakes are great because you don't need to build the frame to
support mounting points for cantilever sockets!

Regards
Gerald

Am 18.04.2015 um 08:21 schrieb paul needham:
Hi all

3/8" axles are 9mm [ ish ]

When building trikes , [ like my Python ] and you want to hang a
wheel from one side only the wheel of choice is a BMX wheel with a
14mm axle they are 9/16".

These are referred to as 14mm axles on this side of the pond , I must
admit to not having heard or seen 9mm axles , however the 14mm are
reasonable easy to get hold of.

I think a adult 3 piece crank/pedal uses a 9/16" pedal axles although
I cannot screw a BMX 14mm axle into one it would only take a little
filing for it to fit and be locked with it's wheel nuts to the crank
arm.

regards Paul

On 18/04/15 03:25, Vi Vuong (Redacted sender vi_vuong@xxxxxxxxx for
DMARC) wrote:
Hi Irv

The front wheels that I used only has 5/16" axles, from cheap kids
bikes and probably too weak to mount directly to the crank. How are
your 3/8" axles holding up?

Maybe the 1/2" pedal axles are overkilled. I will look for some
wheels with 3/8" to try.

Thanks

Vi

On Apr 16, 2015, at 5:47 PM, Irv Jamison (Redacted sender
"irvjamison@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:irvjamison@xxxxxxxxx>" for DMARC)
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
wrote:

Here is a photo of my ilean setup showing how i connect the axle to
the crank arm.

*From:* Vi Vuong <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx