[python] Re: Hub gears

  • From: "Dan Chambers" <d.chambers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 15:37:21 +0100

Dear Pythonauts,

According to Rohloff, the total average weight of the equivalent redundant
parts of a derailleur system (Front and rear derailleurs, two shifting
cables and shifters, rear hub with cassette, extra chain length, small and
middle chainrings and bolts) averages 1600g. The weight of a Rohloff
Speedhub 500/14 CC OEM fitted with shifter, cables and guides is 1820g, so
approximately 220g extra minimum. This is their lightest possible
combination; expect to add 150-200g of other fittings depending on the
setup.

It does not have an internal hub brake option, there?s just no space left
inside, but is available with disc brake fittings.

I think that you shouldn?t notice a big difference as the extra weight will
be lower and half the distance from the frame pivot as the weight of the
chainrings etc.

You might feel the lighter bank account though J.

All the best,

Dan Chambers