[python] Re: How tall are you?

  • From: "Hillel Seltzer" <hseltzer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:24:19 -0500

On Sat January 17, 2004 1:20 PM "Jürgen Mages" <jmages@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Guy,
>
> tell me your inseam lenght. Mine is 88 cm.
> I intend to make an overview for various wheel sizes and
> lengths in the next weeks.
>
> > Maybe i will have to go with 24 or 20 inch front wheel. Would the Python
> > design need some modification for smaller wheels?
>
> Not really. Think of the 20" baby python from Olaf last week.

If you want to consider a smaller wheel, take into account the seat
height that you want as it affects the angle of the pivot BB.

We had a discussion a little while back about the relationship
between trail and stability.  Jurgen pointed out that the python design
depends on negative trail (with the 80-degree pivot angle) for
stability.  Other center-steered recumbents with higher seats require
positive trail (and a pivot near 45 degrees).  I am not sure at what
seat height the requirement changes.  Perhaps it is whether the seat
bottom is above or below the front wheel axis, or maybe whether the
pivot is above or below the wheel axis?

---Hillel