[python] Re: How much lean?

  • From: Patrick van Gompel <patrick_van_gompel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 10:07:57 +0200

Hi,
I don't have an iLean Pythontrike, but I guess my Pythonjetrike works about the
same when you talk about leaning limits.
To answer the question how much lean is enough, is rather hard. If you want to
be safe then you should think of about 45 degrees lean. But I don't think that
is possible if you have a wide track and use crank arms for leaning.
Though, as said: how much lean you need depends on your speed and turning
corner. If you can lean for about 30 degrees then you will likely be able to
take most corners. Especially if you don't go over 15Km/h in corners, you won't
have problems I think. But with speeds of +20Km/h you might get yourself into
nasty situations, as I did with my trike when I didn't have enough lean.
Basically what happens is that you want to lean harder into the corner, but you
can't and you won't be able to take the corner in any way. Untill you brake...
Be aware; that can be dangerous.
As Vi said, it also depends on the rider. If you are experienced and can lean
your body a bit and know how to handle your bike, it helps.
In my experience, you want a smooth leaning bike. The harder it is to lean
(because of friction or whatever) the less control you will have over your
bike. I went from rod end bearings and a steering arm to a single ball bearing
and it made quite a difference in handling the bike. It was more responsive
when cornering. (I haven't had the time to write a full update of my
Pythonjetrike yet, but I will sooner or later).

So if you just want to try and have a go with making a trike lean, then you
don't need much lean (30 degrees will be more than enough). If you go high
speeds (20km/h and up) you will likely need more than 30 degrees.

A note: I don't think a smooth leaning Pythontrike isn't much easier to ride
than a Python (you can ask the subscriber who cycled from France to Holland to
test both my Python and Pythonjetrike).

Kind greetings,
Patrick

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 22:08:28 +0100
From: paul.2.needham@xxxxxxxxx
To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [python] Re: Eliminating lean

Jim

I think at this point you lost me .....

The idea was to add lean to the trike to aid cornering , however I did
not want to make it as hard to ride as a Python bike [ why I build it as
a trike in the first place ! ]

The second idea of Vi's is to add a ' little ' lean to a bike to aid
learning to ride it ? so the question here is how much lean is enough.

Why use the cranks if you don't want lean ? to much hardware for no gain ?

Paul

On 13/04/15 21:30, James Wells wrote:
Paul

Of course what I suggested (lining up the cranks) is only possible if
you have a 3-piece crankset. Does anyone have a simple way to
eliminate lean if you have a one-piece crankset?
Thank you.

Jim
--
*/Cell: 321-474-6289/*