[python] Re: Geared Steering

  • From: Patrick van Gompel <patrick_van_gompel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 17:57:29 +0200

I am still reading about those steering concepts, but I have the idea that
quite a few people are talking about ideas but never cycled with a Python.
There's nothing bad about that (don't get me wrong), but I think it would be a
shame if somebody builds a wicked bike with some of those ideas to find out it
doesn't work and gets disappointed. Of course, it's always nice to try out new
ideas, but for your first build a 'normal' Python might be hard enough.
So my advise is: build a normal Python first, learn to cycle and see how you
like it. Then you might want to change things.

I have a cycled for hundreds of kilometers with a handle bar so I have quite
some experience with that. I think my main point is: you don't steer a Python
with you arms. You can think about very smart designs, but in my eyes your arms
are not strong enough for this. It is not like you are steering an upright
bike. For example: if you want to steer to the right and your legs are
basically just pedalling, you just can't steer enough and you will get very
tired if trying.
My conclusion after a few years is that you use a handle bar for sharp corning
(to aid you hip/leg steering) and to stabilize your steering in general. I do
like the handle bar too to put my arms at rest (and not always having to put
them on my lap).

"I think you could probably even go downhill with ordinary peddles, if
you could simply push on them so they are roughly equidistant, pushback
into your seat and hold onto stern, then tilt at your hips to move them
one way or another."
Yes, it does help I think. I use it quite often when going to a bump on the
road or whatever and it does prevent the sterring from sudden changes. For
downhill (not extremely fast, but still), I use the same leg position.

Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 00:21:17 -0400
Subject: [python] Re: Geared Steering
From: weyounet@xxxxxxxxx
To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

the Torben ref http://en.openbike.org/wiki/Torben started with a steering
damper,

however he later took it off, as said it interfered with making corrections
when "about to lose control".  I guess sometimes fast corrections are
necessary, when tipping to a side and such.

maybe after hitting a pothole also.

Kevin interesting, I think I get your idea now,
the levers would have a horizontal motion along a plane,
rather than turning around an axis.

The advantage over simply attaching a handlebar to the front of the bike, at
least for the geared steering, was that would be able to hold a certain angle
between stern and fore.

I read somewhere that it's important to maintain good contact with the seat,
and someone else that preferred handlebars at the back.

having handlebars on the front really does seem quite pointless, as then both
your arms and legs are at the front, and only your bum and maybe back are
maintaining angle with the stern boom.

Rather since it's really that to steer you bend at the hips, and turn fore
wheel with your legs,
so it's more important to hold onto the seat, or stern boom to maintain angle.

I think you could probably even go downhill with ordinary peddles, if you could
simply push on them so they are roughly equidistant, pushback into your seat
and hold onto stern, then tilt at your hips to move them one way or another.

Kevin the main thing is actually doing it,  when you're just reading about it
may seem daunting, but when you get to it, typically it all works out, can
always fine-tune make adjustments and redo.

When I was building my first boat I made a few models first, that could help.
I've started on an openSCAD model of the python I'm planning on making,
inspired by Futon Express, he models just about everything before building.

I've been contacting Futon Express, and hopefully we can make an open source
package of the openSCAD drawings to make it easier for python and bike
designers in general.

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 10:35 PM, Kevin <sunnymidnight@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I attached a sketch of what I envision the bell-crank solution being. I'll try
to describe it also...

A tab extends rearward from the pivot. Crank arms are mounted outboard on
either side, and oriented such that one leg extends rearward, and the other
extends out (left or right) from the pivot. Moving the outboard end of the
crank arm from front to rear will turn the front wheel from left to right. A
rowing oar setup is used to create this motion. Another analogy is the ball
 & socket orientation of a shifter in a manual transmission car. It pivots at
hip height and the levers extend up to your hands.

But what advantage does this have over just attaching bars to the front half of
the bike? Is the goal to gain greater mechanical advantage, so that a larger
hand motion results in a smaller wheel movement?

It looks like the Resatec pivots are constructed with two pieces of square
tubing. One is small enough so it can freely rotate in the other. The inside
piece is oriented at 45 degrees to the outside, and the space between them is
filled with rubber. That way it can go through small rotations, but still hold
it's position reasonably well. That's my take on what it is anyway. The picture
here helped me... http://www.resatec.com/index1.html

p.s. I'm a long time lurker, and have been wanting to build a python for the
last 10 years or so. Hopefully my life is coming to a point where I can
 make it a reality!

                          On Wed, May 29, 2013
                            at 12:54 AM, Steffen Risse <big.skangster@xxxxxxxxx>
                            wrote:

                              Just a thought from a python triker:
                                Maybe the steering bar is the wrong
                                point to work on for high speeds. When I
                                built my trike I used my old first try
                                on a python frame and combined it with a
                                wheelchair. While completing it with
                                parts I didn't greased the bearings for
                                the steering pivot. Half a year later I
                                greased them. After that I noticed a big
                                difference while coasting down one of
                                the bridges here in Berlin. The bike was
                                more nervous. It also hadn't a
                                slip-stick like behaviour anymore. Maybe
                                a steering damper whould therefore help
                                more than a steering bar on the
                                frontpart. The problem is, that the
                                damper might has to be connected to the