[python] Forwarding Ghislains Mail

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Python Malinglist" <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:03:45 +0200

I want to forward this posting from Ghislain. The attached pdf
was too big for the freelists restrictions. I changed the image
into a small jpg (hope you don´t mind Ghislain).

Here is his posting:

Hi All, Why a 20" Python ? Dirk proved it could be made. Other personal reasons : smaller diameter of wheel, compared to 26", - makes easier the fixing of the bottom bracket shell; tubes instead of flats can be used. - more adjustment made possible for various length of legs, ok for a child 14 years old, or long legged adult, as I am. Moving the seat aft up to 10cms from its more forward position, gives a different feeling, while the beast remain ridable. - overall dimensions less cumbersome, easier to put in the car and overall weight reduced compared 26" - apart from 61or 64 teeth ring for the crankset, all parts can be found easily.( I found, cheap second hand, a flawless 61 teeth ring.)

Why did we lower the seat height compared to Dirk's model ? low seat
height can be used by children or adult, hands touching the ground.

About the building itself :
Front part steel 30x10x1.5mm with roller bearing pivot
main beam,  steel exhaust pipe 42mm outside diam. x1,5mm
rear fork, steel 22mm outside diam. x 1,5mm
mig welding
Feels strong and rigid , for my weigth 80 kgs.

About the riding :
Very odd, and a good challenge, children learn much more quickly than
adults !
We started getting used (?) to it, after a few minutes/hours depending
on age. Conclusion for now is  it is ridable, low speed only, in open
space.
About the seat height, as mentioned in the freelist, we came to the
same conclusion : the lowest the seat, the sharpest the balance. Having
experienced we could  ride it, at low speed,  as it was, we are
modifying seat height and trail. New goals : Pivot angle the same, 60
degrees. Trail, reduced to 14 cm, seat height + 10cms. Which will make
this 20" python look exactly the same as Dirk's !
Do these figures remain good for him ? Or  would he change them a bit
for his own python, If he were to do it again ?
It looks like Dirk got it right the first time, when it took us twice
to reach the same result :  a more forgiving ridable python, at last
nearly  (: >) ! Future will tell.
Well done Dirk ; thanks Jurgën for the challenge !
Cordially
Ghislain Pillet, Antibes, France.