[python] First attempt at riding a python

  • From: mchannon <mchannon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 23:52:09 -0500

Hi All

I have the python I'm building to the stage where I could test ride it
today...or at least try to ride it.  A photo of the bike is on my web site:
www.odyssey.on.ca/~mchannon.

At this time the bike doesn't have brakes or gear shifting.  The chain is on
the front small ring and the 2nd cog.  I was able to manage a meter or two
of progress before putting down a hand or foot or falling over.  I was only
riding for 15 minutes or so.  It began to rain, then the seat broke
off...tack welds only:-(

This python is built mostly from old bike parts.  It uses five front forks.
The steering is pivoted on two rod end bearings recycled from a long dead
racing car project.  The suspension spring is from the same source.

The rear swingarm is made from two front forks, joined at their steering
tubes. The swingarm pivots on a front hub which is brased into the main
frame.  The main frame is made from a steering stem, some bike tube and some
EMT electrical conduit.  The seat is also made from emt. The front frame is
from an old 10 speed bike, and uses three front forks to complete the frame.
The wheels are 27" with 27x1-1/4 tires.

If the weather cooperates I hope to be able to spend some more time learning
to ride the python soon.

Regards,

Mike Channon
London, Ontario, Canada