[python] Re: Cool handlebar for 48deg 20in

  • From: Gerald <bepb@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 06:24:07 +0100

Hi Vi, Hi Jürgen,
I am not sure about the pushable requirement. Maybe a python beeing pushable is an indication that the pivot angle is right, but it seems, just that a python is rideable does not ensure it is also pushable. I do own two such specimens. Both of them ride quite nice and I do so in public traffic.

For a python to be pushable, I think, beside having the pivot angle right you need to be able to put sufficient weight on the pivot while pushing. If the back of the seat is to far back, you may not be able to.

Gerald

On 17.3.11 5:14 , Vi Vuong wrote:
Hi Jürgen,

OK, we should advertise the pushable requirement, perhaps in the pivot angle page. I tested pushing the bike on concrete surface today, and it's not very easy to maintain a straight line for long.

Yes, DirkB's website <http://dirkb.dnsalias.net/python.html> recently came back online, so I was able to download the program to play with. It must be a newer version <http://dirkb.dnsalias.net/pythonselfcenterprogram.html>because it is now written in C# and compiled for Windows (exe). Luckily, I can compile and run in Linux MonoDevelop. It would be nice to do some dynamics simulation of stable and unstable settings/conditions. Experimental measurements would be good also, say gyroscope and accelerometer (iPhone).

Regarding wheel flop, my BB is very close to the hub so the impact of long wheel base seems not as much as pivot angle. I was eager to learn some more today. I can turn left / right with just a touch of my glove on the ground for assurance, and learned to push harder on the pedal to get back in line.

Went over road bumps and speed bumps also, so 20in wheel seems OK. Will do off-road test this weekend. Good seat contact seems crucial for controlling the bike, the arms also. Funny how the training wheels now give me less control than free arms, so it can be retired. Maybe there is an invisible handlebar somewhere (quantum?). The gloves however are very useful, not sure when they can come off.

Thanks for the advice and safety concerns. In general, I am afraid to be in traffic on any bike, not to mention this one, so I will stick to empty streets, curbs, and trails...

Vi