[python] Re: Cautionary tale

  • From: sbartels <sbartels@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 19:16:14 +0200

In those statistics we should also look at the question whether these accidents are "python-induced"!

So: were they caused by the behaviour of the python?
Would other bikes probably have had an accident , too? In your example (muddy patch) that seems likely!
How would an upright bike, a recumbent, a trike have behaved?
Would it have been more or less dangerous for the rider?

Of course a lot of this is guesswork. But the few accidents I have had on recumbents would usually (guardian angels not included) have ended worse because of the tendency to hit the car/ fence/ tarmac head or shoulder first than feet first. A little limp and a few scrapes tend to be the worst consequence of emergency landings with a recumbent, when in an upright bike a fall from considerably more height would have been unavoidable.
Stefan

Am 05.07.2011 18:48, schrieb Jürgen Mages:
Ouchie  Thomas. Just looking at the picture hurts as hell.

We should set up a wikipage: "Our worst python accidents" ;-)

In the last 7 years of pythoning around (~ 40.000 km) I had two major accidents. One was when I slipped away in a muddy spot and trapped my clipped foot under the bike, resulting in ankle pain for the next 4 months. The other accident was a spectacular 360 deg Rittberger loop at about 40 kph, which miraculously resulted in a bruised thumb only.

Cheers,
Jürgen.

On 05.07.2011 17:34, Henry Thomas wrote:
This is my leg after coming off at about 30 kmh on a gravel road corner, back in 2007. Fortunately nothing broke, but I lost a big patch of skin off my shin. It took weeks in pressure bandages and dressings to grow back.

What I learned about front wheel drive bikes is that there is lot more load on that front wheel than other LWB recumbents and if it does let go, there is no possibility to recover - gravity does its work, and the ground just comes up and hits you - the leg under the bike is trapped until you stop. Fortunately for me only about 10 feet of gravel before I was sliding on grass - could have been worse if I had taken the corner wider. My first thought after the initial ouch was - man I thought I was too old to do something as stupid as that.

Commiseration's Kurt - there but for the grace of god go I (and probably most of us) - get well soon ;)

-h
**
**