[python] Re: Cautionary tale

  • From: Henry Thomas <whpthomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 01:34:29 +1000

This is my leg after coming off at about 30 kmh on a gravel road corner, back in 2007. Fortunately nothing broke, but I lost a big patch of skin off my shin. It took weeks in pressure bandages and dressings to grow back.

What I learned about front wheel drive bikes is that there is lot more load on that front wheel than other LWB recumbents and if it does let go, there is no possibility to recover - gravity does its work, and the ground just comes up and hits you - the leg under the bike is trapped until you stop. Fortunately for me only about 10 feet of gravel before I was sliding on grass - could have been worse if I had taken the corner wider. My first thought after the initial ouch was - man I thought I was too old to do something as stupid as that.

Commiseration's Kurt - there but for the grace of god go I (and probably most of us) - get well soon ;)

-h