[python] Re: Building a cargo style trike

  • From: bepb <bepb@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 22:50:08 +0200

Hi Patrick,
actually, a quick and hard hit on the rear breaks works fine. Both wheel will be blocked and there is some breaking power and little hassle. If you break only slightly, there is too, no issue. If you break strong but do not block the rear wheels, the breaking will create some agitation in the rear section off the bike. Disconcerting, but actually never had any serious issues with it.

When I first set up the trike, I had two separate break levers, one for each rear break. I expected that using the right break would initiate a right turn, but this is not the case with the python trike, at least not with mine. If you would hit the right rear break, the bike would actually make a little movement to the left, and then more or less continue strait. The reason for this is, I think, that breaking the right rear wheel creates an impulse on the pivot to the right. This is turning the front part of the python slightly left. After this short impulse, the rear part will balance itself, with the right, breaking wheel a bit behind and both tires rubbing, only a bit, 'square' over the street.
The overall direction is simply still where the front part is pointed to.

After this experience I decided that two separate break levers for the rear breaks are useless on the python trike and got a lever for two bowden cables. None the less, a backup breaking system is imperative if you use the bike day by day. And the rear breaks get the bike to a halt, just not as fast as the front break. The front break on the python trike is a very effective! It just takes a lot flip you over the front wheel, its also not as much an issue if you block the front wheel, you have a lot of weight on the front wheel and with the breaking it gets even more. If you have a coaster break, the break power will help you to hit the break even harder. I don't want a mountain, racing or any other upright bike behind me if I hit the break.

Best regards
Gerald

Am 13.09.2013 17:55, schrieb Patrick van Gompel:
Hi,

I want to add just another opinion on the rear brakes of a python trike: because I thought it was too much hassle I didn't add them to my trike, but I wish I had. Gerald is right that the front brake is much more effective and if you cycle in good road conditions I think you probably won't need them. Though, with a trailer behind my trike I did have a few instances that my front wheel was slipping and I had to get my feet on the ground to add more breaking power and to keep the trike level (I have a leaning one). Since I don't have rear brakes I am not 100% sure, but I think rear brakes would have added more breaking power and would have helped to keep the trike more stable. Since you are talking about a 35kg load at the rear of your trike I would consider having rear brakes although you would probably hardly ever need them. In my eyes it's the same as with brakes on a bicycle: you can do without the rear, but always breaking with both brakes at the same time makes it safer. Though, I have no idea what happens with a trike if you accidently break hard and both your rear wheels are slipping. Gerald, did you ever try that while cornering?

Greets,
Patrick