[python] Building a cargo style trike

  • From: Paul Needham <paul.2.needham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 16:33:28 +0100

Hi all

Short intro , I am recently retired @ 58 been riding recumbents 2 & 3 wheels for 6+ years live in the UK and do a little TIG welding.

I currently ride a Hase Kettweisel a capable trike but with a few niggling problems and for my needs a few shortcomings ?

So I am looking to build myself a replacement that addresses some of the above.

I want to :-

Be lower than the Kett it has a seat height of 15" [ 38 cm ] and a BB height of 19.5" [ 49 cm ] yet it's ground clearance is only 4" [ 10 cm ]
Be shorter if possible , certainly when not in load carrying mode.
Get rid of all that flapping chain
Have the ability to carry camping stuff like the Hipparion Protohippus 2

I quite like Ed's RedTrike as can be seen on the Python trikes page it looks very simple and uncluttered and he has been most helpful in explaining how and why it was built that way.

However carrying lot's of camping gear will require my trike to be build slightly differently to Ed's so I have some questions that I want to ask here ?

Question 1

Would I need rear brakes ? I assume my camping load will be about 35 kg I weight about 70Kg ? By law I need 2 brakes so I will probably put 2 on the front wheel [ 20" wheels all round ] The Kett only has 2 rear brakes , however weight distribution is completely different to the Python

Question 2

Wheel base , Ed admits his would be better a little longer [ but he needs to get his inside a vehicle and so has to be that short ] the Hipparion has a WB of 1 metre and I can build Ed's to that length easily enough. I wondered whether to make the rear length adjustable with just a couple of spanners like this ?

[url=http://postimage.org/][img]http://s20.postimg.org/hm59dl0zx/rear_end_extending_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://postimage.org/app.php]screenshot captor[/url]

I hope the link works I am new to this image hosting stuff.

So in normal use it would be 1 metre but when camping [ maybe only 2 or 3 times a year ] I could lengthen it ? I think my camping gear may be bulkier than Esko's and so could do with an extra 30 - 40 cm

thanks for you help Paul