[python] Re: Birdy style Python

  • From: Frank Parmir <parmir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:40:45 -0700 (PDT)

Last summer I made a folding phyhon with 26 inch wheels. It fit quite well into
my car's trunk and could have been put in a bag for carring on a train but
would have been a hand full. It has a pivot in the frame for rear suspension.
The pivot is skewed so that the rear wheel can be rotated down and arround
ending up beside the front wheel. The front wheel is then turned a bit to be
paralel to the rear wheel. The seat back is removed and the whole thing is a
pretty tight package. There are some pictures I sent to the mail list shortly
after I completed it. It was my first attempt and was more than a little crude.
I did worry about the skew in the suspension pivot causing some unintended
steering with each bump. I assumed my legs would learn to make an automatic
correction. I don't have any expereince with an unskewed suspension pivot. So I
don't know if the skew is a problem or not. I learned to ride it and was fairly
comfortable and stable when I had a wreck and bent the
 front wheel and one crank. I decided to rebuild the whole thing but before I
got started I was given a unicycle (which I just HAD to master) and undertook
rehabbing and old house for my son. Til now I have not had time to get back to
pythoning. (The uni has been much easier than the house.) Very soon I expect to
begin making a leaning, folding python tricycle with single wheel pedal driven
trailor. My wife will not even think about learning to drive a python. I am
hoping that the trike will be stable enough to add the trailor and have we'll
have a detachable tandom. I'm quite optomistic about the design. IF it works
I'll send pictures.

Volker Philippent <bike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Hello,

you sure know folding bikes like the Birdy.

Does anyone have done a folding python in "normal" size, which does fully
comply to city road traffic (especially german traffic laws)?

I have seen the pictures of Baby Monty, which is dismountable, but this
bike has neither brakes nor light (at least not on the pictures), though
it features an interesting pivot mount.

Contrary to Baby Monty, I am interested in a P3 style python with at least
24" wheels, whereas 26" would be better. It should be foldable to suit
case size, so it fits into a car boot, or does not cost an extra fee on
the train.

Volker