[python] Re: Birdcage Python 1118 km

  • From: Thomas Jahn <tpj@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 10:30:25 +0200

Hi Serge,
this is a nice and useful summary about your experience. It seems, riding python is a continuous learning process.
My experience is far behind, compared to yours:
I must be below 30 km still. Now I manage to go at around 10 km/h without the need to stop. But traffic from behind makes me nervous and either fall or stop. I go multiple circles with pretty narrow radius (about 2,5 m). After a bottle of beer no further control. Then it feels like starting all over again. Really funny. I think I will take the python to work soon, but with a trailer. I don't want to risk to crash my computer.

My son and I are riding now every day. He is very very brave and really wants to learn it. Now he manages to pedal three revolutions and then he stops without falling. Great improvement indeed. Another boy from the neighborhood was curious to try it too. He did not want to give up either and managed quite well.

Greetings
Thomas

Den 10/08/2008 kl. 22.45 skrev Serge Prinz:

Hi Pythonauts,

Yesterday I reached 1118 Km with my Python Birdcage.
Max speed I can reach downhill ist now 62.5 km/h (without pedalling) (and I'm a pro-handelbar defender) After this kilometers nothing is broken, just lost several times the scews of the front fender. I'm looking to use loctite on the screws (4 mm).
Pedalling is now possible at speeds between 30 to 40 km/h
The chainwheel of 52/13 teeth (who I never used in the begining) are now
often used and perhaps I will change the 13 in 11 teeth.
Speeds between 40 to 50 km/h is now the critical edge to reach in pedalling mode, I hope I can reach this level during the next 400 km.
Tripps that include city-crossings are no longer a problem.
Little breakouts happen sometimes but they are now easy to manage.
Driving with Pythons on uphillroads with gravel is the Hell ! You need
a lot of energy to control the bike. Bumpy roads are even dangerous .
So we look to use only perfect roads .
More I drive with it, more I forget the stressy beginnings with
a lot of stopps to provide me from falling.
Python driving is a funny thing!

Greatings

Serge

http://en.openbike.org/wiki/Bird_Cage