[python] Re: Bipolar update

  • From: Vi Vuong <vi_vuong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 11:26:42 -0800 (PST)

Thanks Jürgen,

With the current BMX gearing, I could go 10-12mph on the flat trails, and just
a little faster down hill with the old seat mounted to the pivot, and could not
feel any shimmy through my back.  Perhaps with the new handlebar, I can feel it
through my hand.  However, I am hoping that having -60deg pivot ~ max seat rise
and being close to COG, the beautiful pendulum effect would dampen out any
shimmy.  Can't promise any high speed testing though, until having a better set
up (faster/safer bike, crash gear, track,...)

In the mean time, the Dirtsurfer with similar wheel setup seem to do OK at
higher speed,
"The board is unique in that it incorporates a patented steering
geometry [2] where the front wheel pivots from a point in front of and below
the axle of the wheel, via the 'Swingarm'. The rider's weight automatically
centres and straightens the front wheel, creating stability and control.
Another feature of the Dirtsurfer which is not found on other four-wheeled
boards is that, much like a bicycle, the stability actually increases with
speed, thanks to the gyroscopic action of the large wheels."
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirtsurfing
Looks like the pivot rise design is
patented, http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT6398237

Vi