[python] Re: Aw: Re: Using a BB for a pivot

  • From: bepb <bepb@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 00:43:54 +0200

Hi Paul,
there is a bit on the openbike wiki http://en.openbike.org/wiki/Gerald and on Jürgens Project Survey page http://www.python-lowracer.de/projects.html#p35

Gerald

Am 08.04.2015 um 22:52 schrieb paul needham:

Gerald

Thanks for that are there other pictures of your build on the net it does not familiar to me ?

My current trike uses a mount plate of 2 x 3mm pieces welded to make a single piece 6mm thick , I think I have made them big enough so they can be converted into BB pivot mounts at a later date.

Currently I have one python trike with rod end bearings for pivots.

This posts shows them :- http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php/8210-Building-a-python-trike?p=96797#post96797

I am building a new configuration rear end that will initially just pick up the rod end mountings so I can attach it to the existing front end.

Then when I build the new front end and change the pivot to a one piece BB and the new rear will be converted to take that.

then I will have 2 trikes ....

regards Paul

On 08/04/15 17:22, bepb wrote:
Hi,
I made good experience with 'turning' the pivot around - welding the tube part to the frame and use two short pieces of rectangular tubes and two pieces of flat bar to form the hinge on the front part side:
Pivot

It also gives you more room to weld the front tubes to the pivot and more room between the tubes of the front part. Which is good because it save some bending of the front tubes.
The disadvantage is that it restricts the moving range of the pivot to much if you are not carefull with the position of the pivot bore. I made mine to allow a 90 degree steering angle. If you position the pivot bores to far to the rear, you need stronger flat bar to avoid bending.
I hope you can see what I mean from the picture.

The button and up flat bar pieces in this example are 4mm strong.

Gerald

Am 07.04.2015 um 20:16 schrieb Dirk Bonne:
No, mine was just a boring "U" with two holes:
http://dirkb.dnsalias.net/image/python/pivot-reinforced.hires.jpg
and on http://dirkb.dnsalias.net/pythonbuilding.html you can see a CAD drawing. The pivot was a not very good because only two washers protected the bearings. The bearings should have been a sealed version instead.
The solution with a latch is much better for assembly and doesn't seem that complex.
Dirk
*Gesendet:* Dienstag, 07. April 2015 um 20:00 Uhr
*Von:* "paul needham" <paul.2.needham@xxxxxxxxx>
*An:* python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
*Betreff:* [python] Re: Aw: Using a BB for a pivot
Dirk

Luckily mine is a trike so stands on it's rear wheels.

Is yours a one piece BB ?

I assume the latch is held in place with the BB screw/nut and a suitable
washer ?

Are there pictures on the net of your implementation ?

Paul

============================================================ This is the Python Mailinglist //www.freelists.org/list/python Listmaster: Jurgen Mages jmages@xxxxxx To unsubscribe send an empty mail to python-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field. ============================================================