[python] Re: Aw: Re: My Python Concept

  • From: "Vi Vuong" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "vi_vuong@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 22:11:29 -0700

Hi Dirk

Last time we discussed muscle memory, I didn't have enough experience but I can
confirm now that it takes less than 5-10 minutes for the PSI to go away when
switching to a different python or not riding within 2 weeks. However I
usually ride between 10-15mph due to traffic, gravel, debris, wind, or limited
gearing so your PSI experience may be different at higher speed. Does it take
much longer?

I need to clarify that it is worth it for one short-term experiment to explore
the range of rideable angles around the sweet spots or just for curiosity. I
also agree that there is no need for pivot angle adjustment long term, unless
the bike is permanently experimental...

Vi

//www.freelists.org/post/python/Revisiting-RWD-recumbents,2

On Apr 16, 2015, at 3:26 AM, Dirk Bonne <dbonne@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Johnny,

Changing pivot angles messes up the muscle memory needed for smooth riding
(this is from personal experience as with every python I make the angle
slightly different). A python bike is very personal in that way.

Beware that for a high pivot angle (e.g. 70degrees), you'll need high seat
angle too, as you'll otherwise have trouble turning at all at slow speed. At
a seat angle of 35degrees I had trouble with 70degrees and was forced to
lower the pivot angle to 60.

My personal favourite is 60degrees.
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 16. April 2015 um 05:33 Uhr
Von: "Vi Vuong" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
An: "python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: [python] Re: My Python Concept
Hi Johnny,

If you are not sure yet about pivot angle, I would suggest doing some angle
experiments with your current bike before building the next one. Here is my
experimental bike http://youtu.be/5JUg0zIHSuM

Assuming your current bike also has 1200mm wheelbase, you can vary pivot
angles from 10-15 degrees by changing wheel size. See table below. I find
50+ degrees more bearable than 70+ degrees. The sweet spot is around 60-65,
see http://en.openbike.org/wiki/Python_Projects_Survey

Have fun,

Vi

PS:
Nice touch stamping the word python on the frame.