[python] Arm-assist pedalling

  • From: Vi Vuong <vi_vuong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Python <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 23:11:56 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,
Putting the arms to work seems like a logical thing to do on a long quiet ride,
rather than just resting.  After some testing, it seems that 10-15% arm-power
assist at moderate range 100-150 watts is quite practical.  Overall gain is not
much, just ~1mph, but speed is more steady over slight changes in elevation or
wind, similar to pedelec I guess.  I am more intrigued by the synergy between
arms and legs, quite different from rowing where the roles are switched.
Steering seems more confident somehow, as if the hands have some direct
influence on the pedals, new nueron connections?

Yes, at first the arms do get tired but some moderate excercise should be good
in the long run.  Can't imagine the exhaustion from pushing the level of power
mentioned in the article below...

Cheers,

Vi

http://journals.humankinetics.com/AcuCustom/Sitename/Documents/DocumentItem/10417.pdf
Arm and Leg Exercise in Cycling
In a series of studies examining arm and leg exercise in cycling, we found that
for a 1-min period, 6 subjects increased their power output by 17% using arm
and leg exercise compared to leg power alone (522 watts vs. 470 watts average
for the 6 subjects). The most efficient mode of arm exercise was bilateral op-
posed (arms moving opposite to their respective legs).

[python] Re: probefahrt entspannt
        * From: "brechtix" <brecht.vandeputte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        * To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        * Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:34:21 +0200

> Wenn es mal schneller gehen soll, dann drücke ich mit
> den Händen meine Knie, was so etwa 4 km/h bringt.

Then it would be the world's most efficient arm-power assist. However
extatic their owners and regardless of the great workout, I gather the
Thys Rowbikes are no faster than merely leg-driven hpv's. Probably our
heart & lung system provides a limit to the total wattage of arms and
legs combined.  I rode an armpowered trike once and it went very well for about
a km,
then I found out my arm muscles were not trained for endurance. First
time I had spaghetti arms instead of - legs. It's another fascinating aspect of
the Python setup that without any
mechanical complexity or weight penalty one could deliver arm assist for
a short anaerobic outburst of acceleration or a short climb. In city
traffic I use the hamstrings for that trick.