[python] Re: AW: Re: Pythonjetrike // Python Trike last Winter

  • From: Gerald <bepb@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 23:15:54 +0200

Hi,
yes right, there is not just one possible combination of tilt and steering angle while cornering a two wheel python at a given speed and radius. You can either lean less but use more steering angle or the other way round. I use this if I do very tight corners on my two wheel python to avoid hitting the ground with the pedals. You can go into a tight bend leaving the rear part more or less upright, just bending the front part. But in fact you are leaning - the front part and your legs do.

I too feel that a two wheel python needs to lean more for the same speed and turning radius. If this is real or just because the sitting position is different, I don't know.

Coming back to the trike, I think if you corner the trike, the legs move quite a bit toward the inside of the bend. Also, because of the pivot angle, the legs move inside of the bend relative to the contact point of the front wheel on the ground.
Have a look at the picture below, it shows my python trike with a tight steering angle. Imagine the drivers legs parallel to the front wheel opposed to being stretched out strait ahead on a tadpole or normal delta.

Well, I am not saying you can't flip a python trike over, but I made good experiences with mine.

Gerald

On 6.10.11 19:03 , Patrick van Gompel wrote:
I don't know about your Pythons, but when I was learning to ride my 2 wheeled Python, I did feel the CoG going to the opposite side of the corner. Which meant: I turned to the left and I felt my bike wanting to lean to the right, so I had to lean my body a bit more to the left to correct this. Once I knew that more leaning into the corner was needed (compared to my recumbent), it is not really a matter of leaning the body anymore, but before you take the corner you let the bike lean a bit more. I think this is done by opposite steering: steering a very short time to the right if you want to go to the left (like somebody mentioned on the list too). That I think, is one of the main reasons why some people have great difficulty learning to ride a Python. They have to switch from a more 'leaning the body' way of steering to a 'turning the opposite direction' way of steering. Since I was already driving a recumbent with a low angled seat, I was quite used to the latter and didn't have that much trouble with a Python. Though, the Python seems more sensitive to opposite steering for leaning.
Imo, leaning of the body is hardly done when riding a Python. That way of leaning is more a thing of trikes and upright bicycles. I carefully checked leaning of my body when I was riding my recumbent: none that I could notice. But opposite steering: yes!
Yes, the legs going to the inside of the corner do help I guess, but adding things in total, I have the expirience with my Python that the CoG does go to the ouside of the corner. Try it: make a very tight turn with your Python and let somebody check how much you lean. Then, take a mountainbike or whatever and make the same turn with the same speed. I bet you need to lean quite a bit more riding your Python.

Patrick