[python] Re: AW: Google Earth (OT)

  • From: Ronald Hongsermeier <ronwhongsermeier@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 10:33:32 +0100

dirk@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Am Mittwoch 29 November 2006 14:22 schrieb Mark Garvey:
On 11/29/06, Rhisiart Gwilym <Rhisiart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Siwmae pawb!

I'm even older, and I second everything that Mark says below. Except
that that wonderful 'astral travelling' satellite camera can just as
easily be used to check up on everyone and everything, with a
thoroughness previously thought to be possible only for God (whatever
you take that word to mean). And having seen where we are, and what
we're doing, it then becomes possible for 'them' (whoever, other
naked apes anyway) to throw exploding things at us, or gasses, or
lethal microorganisms; or to send goons to get us. Just a paranoid
thought.
This is all true, but at the base of it, even something as innocent as  a
match can be used to light a home, or set it on fire!  I am not a
militarist, nor am I particularly paranoid, but yes, "they" whoever they
are could probably find you pretty easily I suppose.  It has been that way
for many years.  Technology available to US, as in basic simple people is a
good many years behind what is really available.  so I simply live my life
and forget about it.  no benefit in going crazy over it.

Still, it is - for our generation - wonderful to the point

Privacy is a value, we should not simply be giving up. Every human being has a right for privacy and therefore a right to control his personal data. Bruce Schneier hast a series of Artikels on issues like these. They are worth reading:
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/05/the_value_of_pr.html

When exchanging google earth coordinates in this list, one should remember that they are archived for years to come on freelists.org (i'm not saying, don't do this, rather think about it, when entering private data in to the internet!)

It frigthens me, when people give up on privacy so easily. We should be defending it, discuss the use and misuse of various new technologies.

To the internet in generell: I value as well the possibilities to meet up with people from anywhere. To me its democracy at its core, when you discuss, defend, stand up or give up your views, opinions and values in discussions with various people around the globe. Lets hope we can reduce the "digital divide" and get more people involved by providing them with access to the net. To preserve the freedom of the internet, there are various discussions on netneutrality ( follow some of these links: http://www.google.de/search?q=netneutrality ) There are some mash-up videos in youtube as well, tagged with netneutrality.

Best regards,
Dirk, currently in munich

Dirk,

Tomorrow I go back to work at the airport. I noticed the google earth pix of it are quite good, of where I live not quite as good and of those where I grew up, in northwestern Illinois, so bad that you can barely make out that it's really your own home town. The pix are out of date also. My ex- has a garage that's about three or so years old and that doesn't show up on the google earth pix. Our personal locations are another thing. I probably wouldn't have shared mine if my children still lived with me. But I'm getting far enough along toward "old fart-dom" that I'm not too worried about much, nothing here to steal, etc. The fear of being watched full time by the CIA or better NSA is something that is overrated. If the right satellite was in the right place with the right weather conditions in the 80's, I'm told that they could surmise with about 80% certainty the brand of cigarette someone was smoking under the assumption that he was smoking from his own pack and that the pack angle in the moment of "click" was close enough to perpendicular.

I worry more now about the fact that the names of my older son and two of his friends were published in the local paper with their village after they were beaten up at a local Kino. The paper also mentioned that 8 local youths would be accused and tried in youth court. Two days after the trial, whose result was kept secret from the publicly exposed victims, the leader of the gang of young thugs showed up at the school of my younger son (on the other side of a town with c. 40K inhabitants), then 12 years old and threatened to stick a knife in the belly of everyone in the family. I'd choose to be spied on by the CIA any time. A police counselor told my ex- not to worry. I worry. The young thug could knife my two sons, take a cab to the airport, disappear to his homeland, walking right before my eyes into the safety of his waiting plane and he's protected from me even knowing who he is. That's the twisted German privacy I worry about.

regards from foggy B388

Ron