[python] Re: 81 inseam

  • From: "25hz" <25hz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 23:15:52 -0500

Marcel and I like to ride fast - maybe it's a character flaw :)  Anyway,
that top speed is on a downhill and unfortunately, we had to ride the rear
brakes while pedalling to achieve that speed.  I'm also not too shy to tell
you that there were certain parts of my body that were severly puckered at
that speed too :)  It wasn't the most comfortable riding experience I've
ever had.  That being said though, that same hill on my trike or high racer
can get into the 85 to 95 kph range.  I like to really work hard and sprint
if I can on the up-hills, but to level out the kharmic scale, I like to
really hammer on the downhills too :)  On the flats though, with the BHP and
Marcel's, we could stay in a fast cruise in the high 40's to low 50's for 10
oir 15 minutes, depending on road conditions.  It was a lot of fun.

Marcel has slowed down a little bit though, because he had one wipeout
around 50 to 55 kph on that 66kph hill when his rear tire went flat suddenly
(so he claims :)) and he got stuffed under a guardrail at that speed.  Then
another time, on another hill (not quite as steep) he hit a bump and got
into a bit of a oversteer situation and wiped out on the shoulder at about
45 to 50 kph.  It's too bad, but he only got a couple small scrapes from
those accidents.  I think the first big wipeout made him a little skittish
and that didn't help with his second wipeout.  Prior to that, he had amazing
finesse and it was impossible to keep up with him if he really wanted to
apply some steam.  I really wish I had of taken some video of him doing the
slalom on the ice python.  It was amazing and him and the python were very
smooth - it was like he was skiing.  He was going almost as fast as the
trikes, and they did the slalom like they were on rails.  Even on the
pursuit and lap races, he'd be flying around a corner, with the rear blade
gently drifting out, laid over with his left hand out on the ice like an
outrigger, and the whole time he's got the hammer down chewing up the ice
with all the screws in the front wheel.

I may have romanticized this a bit, but from having a couple thousand KM on
a python, I think I have a half decent idea on the python's performance
capabilities, but I was still pretty amazed to watch him go.  Very cool.  I
think Mike Channon was there and might have seen one of the races, so
perhaps he has a more  . . . realistic remembrance of it than I :)  This is
the best picture I have of that:
http://georgianbents.ca/06brantfordice%20marcel%20pursuit.jpg
and even that is a relatively slow corner compared to when he was going
hard.