[python] Re: 500 km

  • From: Rhisiart Gwilym <Rhisiart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:36:36 +0100

Thaank you, brother Mark. Hallelujah! Anyone else want to stand up here tonight and confess their computer abuse?

olaf

Siwmae eto i bawb,

From the 20th century comes this croaky old voice, saying "Bike computer? Is there such a thing? Scandalous impiety! Oh what's the world coming to!"

Much more to the point as the northern weather gets into its winter wetness, is there such a thing as really effective cycling waterproofs, even in this century ? Or do I just have to design a full Leitra-style fairing onto my current Python project?

I discovered a while back a home-bent-builder who had had good success making fairings from flexible closed-cell foam of about 1cm thickness. I think he said he actually used hikers' sleeping mats, the sort that are flexible enough to roll up tight. He said they don't drum, they have good dent-and-springback qualities when impacted, and they're very light. Now I can't find the net site again. Anyone have any knowledge of where it is, or any experience with foam farings? A Deutscher guy I think.

This all-weather riding thing isn't just a casual question for me: I'm plotting to go completely car-free, like that canny Dansker guy who developed the Leitra, and since the winter weather in Cymru is as daunting as it is in Danmark, I think I need a really good fairing design. Or genuinely keep-dry waterproofs, if they exist.

I should say that I'm arranging for my Python to run as either a bike or a trike, by simply changing over the back (trailer) end on the front (tractor) end. And I'm still wondering whether the quick-release arrangement should be rigid, or whether I should include another horizontal-axis articulation bearing there so that I can bank over the whole front end going into bends, like a bike. Erik Wannee has a Flevo trike with this arrangement, so I guess it's feasible. He also has practical trial-and-error experience of where to place this articulation (as low to the ground as possible) for stability.

The faring, if I go that route, would just be a narrow tear-drop shape enclosing the main frame, and leaving the two rear wheels in the trike configuration outside, as the Leitra does.

I know about cross-wind considerations on faired bikes, but I reckon it's worth a try.

Another question: since people are now thinking about possible Flethon/Pyvo hybrids, isn't a positive-trail or neutral-trail frame going to get rid of the nervousness about jack-knifing that people feel when going fast on a long-negative-trail Python? Or is there something wrong with that idea that I've not understood? I understand about the self-centring effect of negative-trail plus angled articulation axis

Finally, has anyone else had the insight that all centre-steer, front-wheel-drive bikes/trikes are actually a sort of multi-geared unicycle, but always hauling a one-wheel or two-wheel trailer, and with the rider's centre of gravity offset backwards from directly over the contact patch, unlike a pure uni? In fact, for most centre-steers the rider sits on the trailer, except for Hans-Ulrich Reimers' 'Kalle' bike, (see Erik's discussion of rear-wheel-steer bikes) where I guess you could say he sits on the handlebars. The next picture in that section of Erik's site -- Duane Flatmo's bike -- is also pretty suggestive of a unicycle with trailer. Does any of this offer any insights to anyone that might be useful to Python -- or Pyvo -- development?

Cofion,      Rhisiart.