[py-lmdb] Re: query what databases are in an environment

  • From: David Wilson <dw@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: py-lmdb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 13:10:18 +0000

Hi there,

The usual advice is that in order to avoid unexpected key conflicts, if
you are using sub-databases, the main database should not contain any
keys except sub-database descriptors (which are internally created by
mdb_dbi_open()/Environment.open_db()), at which point discovering the
names of all sub-databases is simply:

    def get_dbi_names():
        with env.begin() as txn, txn.cursor() as cursor():
            return list(cursor.iternext())

    # Since we don't ever write regular data keys to the main DBI, we
    # need a sub-DBI for keys we would like to write there.
    main_db = env.open_db('main')

    with env.begin(db=main_db) as txn:
        txn.put('foo', 'bar')   # etc.

This is a slightly rough patch in LMDB's API, but following convention
makes it easy to work around. Ideally there would be no keyspace
conflicts, or alternatively put() would fail on the main DBI if any
sub-database had been created.

David