[pure-silver] Re: word from ilford

  • From: Eric Nelson <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:27:20 -0700 (PDT)

I have heard of silver prints being damaged by
environmental elements but always believed they needed
to be in the extreme to cause the degree of image
degradation that happened in my case.

I am relieved that I wasn't the cause via neglect or
what-have-you, but somewhat disillusioned in the
stability of silver after this.  I will probably offer
the caveat to clients re:achival aspects of silver
prints, that selenium is advised when prints are to be
kept long term in unknown environs.

But maybe I was the cause since Richard made mention
of the need for a little fixer left behind and I just
washed too well.  ;-)

Typically when I print for someone, I will give them
the "B" prints, as they will only be trash to me, and
a little good will like that goes a long way.
Sometimes I am surprised when they prefer the "B"
print.

So my client went back to her B's I had given her, and
sure enough they are fine and unaffected, pretty much
confirming the environmental damage theory.
Even better, the prints are acceptable to her as a
replacement so I don't have to re-print as I'm way too
busy to get to that for a long time right now anyway.

Re: selenium & rc; I remember back some years a lab
that specialized in only "archival rc prints" banking
on the perception or sales pitch at the time that RC
was as stable as fiber when selenium toned.  They
found out later the proponents of this were wrong as
prints started to go off and they either shifted to
fiber or gave up the ghost.  I think this was around
'97-'98.  Pehaps this is before the Titanium Dioxide
was removed from those papers.

Eric