[pure-silver] Re: what planet have I been on???

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 15:34:52 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 28, 2007 2:39 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] what planet have I been on???

DEAR PURE SILVERS,

For decades, when printing with variable contrast (aka multigrade) papers I have used Wratten 0C (amber/orange) safelights with 15 watt bulbs no less than 6 feet away from my paper. I regularly do fog tests and have never discovered any fog for up to 15 minutes under the safelights.

I was just checking the Bergger site and they recommend 1A (red) filters for their VC/MG papers. What planet have I been living on? Did I
miss something these last 30 years?

                                   CHEERS!

                                               BOB

I don't know why Bergger recommends the 1A, perhaps their papers are sensitized further into the green/yellow region that most VC paper. The 1A is safe for any VC paper (or graded paper) but most people find a red safelight less comfortable to work under than the OC. Have you made a fogging test of the Bergger paper using the OC filter? I don't think there is any reason to switch to a red filter for papers that recommend the OC or Ilford equivalent.

---