[pure-silver] Re: using color head to do contrast

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:18:58 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "shannon stoney" <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 12:45 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] using color head to do contrast

> Hi, I just got an enlarger with a color head set up in my
> darkroom.
> Somebody loaned it to me, and I've never used this kind
> before.  It's
> a De Vere, which I've heard is a very good enlarger.  But,
> I don't
> know where to start when dialling in the numbers for the
> filters.
> Could somebody give me a ballpark starting place?
>
> --shannon

    As pointed out by others paper instruction sheets have
charts showing the filter settings. Note that there are at
least three systems of color head filter calibration so you
must use the numbers for the particular type of color head
you are using. If you don't know ask here, someone will
know.
    Generally, the very highest and very lowest contrasts
will not be available with the color head. This is not much
of a shortcoming since they are rarely used, but, if you do
have a need for them, you can always use filters on the
enlarger.
    Another note. Most color heads are diffuse sources. If
you have been using a condenser head enlarger B&W silver
negatives will print about a grade softer with the color
head. B&W chromogenic film will print about the same. The
difference in conterast is due to light scattering from the
silver particals. The dye particals in color film or
chromogenic B&W film don't scatter enough light to change
contrast significantly with the source.

---