[pure-silver] Re: uh oh, I think I killed the plants outside from my fixer

  • From: Peter Badcock <peter.badcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 23:06:41 +1000

On 9/10/05, Stefan Kahlert <s.kahlert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's true for unused or desilvered fixer. Loaded with silver it
> becomes rather toxic for most of the environment.

This topic got me reading again about the toxicity of silver-rich fixer,
especially in regards to claims that it acts as a bactericide and will kill
off the 'good processing bacteria' at the sewerage treatment plant.
 Then I came across this post here
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BSoD which talks
about ionic silver being the culprit. But if the ionic silver in the fixer
has had a chance to form insoluble precipitates on its way to the sewerage
treatment plant, then would it not be in a rather unreactive form and
consequently not dangerous?
 Now I'm definitely not advocating pouring fixer down the drain, I just
wonder how much of a problem the silver would actually be.
 Disclaimer: I'm not a chemist....
 regards
Peter